UX Improvements

Hi! First, I’m so excited that I checked out this app after hearing about it on a podcast recently. It’s solving a long standing problem I’ve had tracking media that I want to consume.

After using the app for a few weeks, I’ve got some really specific thoughts, mostly related to optimizing workflows within the app. I’ll outline below.

Filter Activity
I’d like to be able to filter the activity by type so that it’s easier to find a book or show that I’ve completed.

Pile Quick Add
I’m a big Things user, so I’m likely a little biased, but I’d love to be able to quickly add an item to the pile. A quick drag of the Plus button, a new menu item, etc - there are several ways to do this.

Reduce Number of Taps
Right now, adding to a list directly takes a few taps and the workflow does not change based on the context (home view or list view).

This is the current “add” workflow:

1. Tap + button. 2) Choose List. 3) Search. 4) Tap Item. 5) Tap “Add to List”. 6) Choose List (again).

It feels like there may be a few issues here. First, I don’t know what I have to choose a list twice. Second, if I’m viewing a specific list, I’d expect a way to quickly add to just that list and not be required to go through the list selection process again.

The improvements around this bit of UX are what would make an already useful app be even more useful more me — I often hear a recommendation on a podcast and want to quickly capture it. Removing as many taps as possible will greatly improve that “quick capture” workflow.

Again, love the app and super excited to see it’s ongoing development!

@jasonlang, thanks for the kind words :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. On which podcast did you hear about Sofa?

Filter Activity
I’d like to be able to filter the activity by type so that it’s easier to find a book or show that I’ve completed.

This is coming as part of the in-progress 3.0 release. You can see more about how that will work here.

Pile Quick Add
I’m a big Things user, so I’m likely a little biased, but I’d love to be able to quickly add an item to the pile. A quick drag of the Plus button, a new menu item, etc - there are several ways to do this.

The way Things does this is super nice. I agree this would be a good addition.

This is the current “add” workflow:

1. Tap + button. 2) Choose List. 3) Search. 4) Tap Item. 5) Tap “Add to List”. 6) Choose List (again).

This something that has confused others. I’m currently exploring ways to improve this. The menu you see in step 2 isn’t choosing a list, it’s to choose the type of thing you want to add. For example, if you want to add a movie, tap the + button and choose Movie to search for movies. The confusion is caused because the starter lists are named the same as the data types.