Maintain order of media types across lists

What problem are you trying to solve?

I’m trying to get consistency in displaying the list of media across different buttons and screens.

Explain your ideal solution

When the user taps the (+) button in the main screen to add a new item, media types have a different order from when the (+) button is tapped after searching for something (see screenshots below).

My ideal solution would be that media types keep the same order across these screens.

How are you currently solving this problem today?

Throwing my muscle memory out the window. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Please forgive the iCloud links. I need two photos for an example, but as a new user here I can only upload one attachment. So: photo 1, and photo 2—notice how the list of media are different.

Hey David, thanks for sharing! What you’re running into is actually two different issues…let me try to explain.

First, the menus I’m using throughout the app are natively provided by Apple. For the most part, they are excellent. There is one quirk about them that drives me a little nuts: The display order for the menu items is dependent upon the menu’s location on the device’s screen.

In the image I’ve attached, noticed how the menu items “flip” depending upon its location on the screen. This is native behavior by menus in iOS. It’s the one thing I dislike about them and totally empathize with you!

Secondly, you’ve run into an issue that I’ve corrected in a recent release.

The menu in your first photo is for choosing which data type you want to search for: movies, books, etc.

The menu in your second photo is showing you lists (and groups) where you can save the item to.

I made the mistake of naming the starter lists the exact same as the data types you search for. This makes it really confusing to know which menu you’re in :upside_down_face:. I’ve since changed the names for the starter lists that new people get. If you’d like, you can change the name of your lists to make this a little easier to work with for now. Though I do need to find a better long-term solution.

Anyways, I hope that helps!

Ah cool, thanks for the clarification. Now I’m curious as to Apple’s reasoning for menus behaving that way.

Keep up the great work!

1 Like

I’m curious to know as well. My guess is that they’ve made the assumption that it’s better to have the first menu item closer to the user’s touch input.

The scenario you brought up is a good example of how that assumption isn’t always true.

This is also very disorienting to me when my lists flip top to bottom/bottom to top, so any sorta fix for this would be great. It’s something that slows down efficiency in the app, Although I’ve probably spent way more time adding this comment :sweat_smile:

Totally agree. The only solution, other than Apple changing functionality, is to write something custom. That comes with it’s own set of tradeoffs though and may not be worth it in the end. Overall, Apple’s menu system is really great.