Bulk Add Items from a text file

What problem are you trying to solve?

I currently use a basic list application to keep track of exactly this type of information. I’m trying to move it here but I have, for instance, over 100 different movies to eventually check out and adding them one by one here is really frustrating. What about adding even just a simple text file importer with one title per line? When importing they would all get added to the proper list here, and, if possible automatically download their artwork. If a match isn’t found, that could be thrown up on the pile.

Explain your ideal solution

See above. You could add such functionality to the data management area of the app, although I do think it may make sense to make it more prominent as well.

How are you currently solving this problem today?

I’m not. The idea of moving everything over a single item at a time is not really appealing to me.

Thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion! I totally get not wanting to manually migrate 100 movies. I wouldn’t want to do that either. I don’t want to get your hopes up though, this isn’t a current priority. I have a bunch of bigger items I’m about to dive into.

I do encourage you to reconsider. I say that because without such capabilities, you’re not going to get as many people to switch away from their current list software. It’s simply too much work. Even if it didn’t do things like image and/or metadata look up, there really needs to be something.

That said, by look of your app you do clearly know what you’re doing so I won’t push too hard. Again, I just ask you to reconsider.

1 Like

I fully agree. I have roughly 1000 audiobooks and books (both printed and ebooks) in another app. I’d like to migrate to Sofa, but I can’t until I can do major imports.

What app are you currently using?

BookBuddy on iOS. It can export in CSV, TSV, PDF, and HTML. I really like it, but it would be nice to have all media types in 1 location.

BTW. If Sofa needs a specific structure for import, let me know. Easy enough to adapt the BookBuddy CSV export.

1 Like