Add custom item image and description

What problem are you trying to solve?

Having a clearer view of custom items

Explain your ideal solution

It would be really nice to be able to change the picture and description of a custom item. If an item is not found in the databases you get a nice Unsplash picture and no description, but I’d prefer to add a custom picture that I may have in my camera roll and write the description that I want to it

How are you currently solving this problem today?

I can’t resolve it right now, I just the the Unsplash image without any text

2 Likes

@hodlok makes total sense and it’s on my list to address.

Depending on the type of item you’re adding, you could add it to the data source yourself. For example, the services Sofa uses for movies, tv shows, video games, and board games are all open to contributions. If a particular item isn’t there, you can add it!

Unfortunately books, podcasts, music, and apps don’t work the same way.

1 Like

Just want to voice my support for this as well.

@shawn this probably opens up a whole other can of worms that you wouldn’t want to take on, but any thoughts on maybe having a public directory for existing categories that other folks could contribute to, and use that to fill in gaps? Maybe something backed by GitHub or the like?

Running my own database of content would be quite the effort, but I think there are some smaller things that can be done to improve this existing experience.

For example, I am considering allowing you to choose your own image for custom items. The thing to work through is where to store that image. I want to do this in a way that is convenient and private. Allowing people to use images from their iCloud Drive is a potential option here.

Nothing set in stone and plenty to figure out, but hopefully this context helps!